Archive for the ‘IT tips’ Category
Please follow the steps below to apply a new action, such as “Switch user” or “Restart”, to the power button which is located at the bottom-right of the Start menu in Windows 7:
1. Right-click on the Start button, and then select “Properties” from the pop-up menu.
2. Under the “Start menu” tab, open the drop-down menu next to “Power button action”, and then choose a new action, such as “Restart”, in the menu.
3. Click “Ok”.
Did you know that we can improve the performance of Windows 7 by using “ReadyBoost”? We can just simply use a USB thumb drive to turn on “ReadyBoost” on a computer running Windows 7. The way of turning “ReadyBoost” on is shown below:
1. Connect your USB thumb drive to your PC or laptop.
2. Choose the option “Speed up my system using Windows ReadyBoost” in the AutoPlay window.
3. Select “Dedicate this device to ReadyBoost” in the ReadyBoost tab, and then click OK.
* ReadyBoost is particularly useful for netbooks which are running with less than 2GB of RAM.
Be careful about working on a gmail email across devices/platforms. Twice, I’ve been bitten by gmail, where my email vanished into some blackhole or other.
I’m not sure what causes the problem, but in both cases, I was sending gmail using the default email client on my iPad. It seems that if you start an email draft on a web browser, and then continue working on the draft from an iOS device like iPad, then try to send it, you may get an error message, and then lose the entire message after you press “send”. That is what happened to me the first time. The second time, I didn’t even get an error message, so was at first mistaken into thinking gmail successfully delivered my email. However, when I went to check, I couldn’t find my email in the relevant email thread. Furthermore, while my message doesn’t appear in “sent mail”, there is a weird error message there: “this message may not have been sent by: <myemailaddress>@gmail.com Learn more Report phishing”
After clicking “learn more”, there are some trouble shooting options, but none helped me. It does seem that google is trying to get feedback on this, to flush out bugs like the one I encountered.
Moral of the story: don’t start a gmail email on a browser and then continue working on the draft with a mobile device. Start, complete, and send each email from the same device.
To unsend an email from Gmail, you have to enable the ‘Undo Send’ option first. Please follow the steps below to enable that useful option:
1. In the screen of Gmail, click on the ‘Settings’ button, and then select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down list.
2. Click on ‘General’.
3. Enable the ‘Undo Send’ option.
4. You can increase the time span in order that you have enough time to click on ‘Undo’ to cancel sending your email.
5. Click on the ‘Save Changes’ button.
In Windows 7, we can use Jump Lists to launch frequently used files, quick commands and pinned items. To open any Jump Lists, just right-click on an application icon on the taskbar, and then select an item you want to launch from the popup menu. To pin an item appeared in the Recent\Frequent section of Jump Lists, click on the pushpin icon next to the name of the item.
To clear unpinned documents in the list of Recent Documents in Word 2010, please do the following:
1. Click the File tab on the Ribbon.
2. Click the ‘Recent’ section.
3. Right-click anywhere in the list of ‘Recent Documents’, and then select ‘Clear unpinned documents’ from the pop-up menu.
4. Click “Yes” to remove all the unpinned items from the list.
In Internet Explorer 9, to add a website to the Start menu in Windows 7, please do the following:
1. Press [Alt] + [X] or click the icon, which looks like a nut, to open the Tools menu.
2. Point to ‘File’, and then choose ‘Add site to Start menu’.
* To access the website which has just been added to the Start menu, click the Start button, and then click it in the list of ‘All Programs’.
To make the selected area as a picture in Excel 2010, please follow the steps below:
1. Click the ‘Home’ tab, and then click the ‘Copy’ button in the ‘Clipboard’ group after selecting the area in the worksheet.
2. Click the location where you want the picture to be appeared in the worksheet.
3. Click the down arrow on the ‘Paste’ button to open the menu which has several options.
4. Under ‘Other Paste Options’ in the menu, click the ‘Picture’ option.