Archive for the ‘general PC tips’ Category
Have you ever remembered that there is some important information in one of your pdf documents, but you don’t remember which of those documents contains the information? Perhaps a sinking feeling of dread came upon you, as the prospect of going through the documents one by one and searching pushed aside happy emotions in you? Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to search through all those hundreds of documents with one click, or one command-line command? (like using something like “grep” to search multiple text files at once)
Guess what? Adobe Acrobat provides that capability!
As seen in the image on the left, there is the option to specify “where would you like to search”, and you can set that to be “All PDF Documents in ..” any folder on the hard disk! wonderful! joy, oh joy!
Just select “Advanced search” under the “Edit” main menu. Nice.
Please follow the steps below to apply a new action, such as “Switch user” or “Restart”, to the power button which is located at the bottom-right of the Start menu in Windows 7:
1. Right-click on the Start button, and then select “Properties” from the pop-up menu.
2. Under the “Start menu” tab, open the drop-down menu next to “Power button action”, and then choose a new action, such as “Restart”, in the menu.
3. Click “Ok”.
Did you know that we can improve the performance of Windows 7 by using “ReadyBoost”? We can just simply use a USB thumb drive to turn on “ReadyBoost” on a computer running Windows 7. The way of turning “ReadyBoost” on is shown below:
1. Connect your USB thumb drive to your PC or laptop.
2. Choose the option “Speed up my system using Windows ReadyBoost” in the AutoPlay window.
3. Select “Dedicate this device to ReadyBoost” in the ReadyBoost tab, and then click OK.
* ReadyBoost is particularly useful for netbooks which are running with less than 2GB of RAM.
To unsend an email from Gmail, you have to enable the ‘Undo Send’ option first. Please follow the steps below to enable that useful option:
1. In the screen of Gmail, click on the ‘Settings’ button, and then select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down list.
2. Click on ‘General’.
3. Enable the ‘Undo Send’ option.
4. You can increase the time span in order that you have enough time to click on ‘Undo’ to cancel sending your email.
5. Click on the ‘Save Changes’ button.
In Windows 7, we can use Jump Lists to launch frequently used files, quick commands and pinned items. To open any Jump Lists, just right-click on an application icon on the taskbar, and then select an item you want to launch from the popup menu. To pin an item appeared in the Recent\Frequent section of Jump Lists, click on the pushpin icon next to the name of the item.
To clear unpinned documents in the list of Recent Documents in Word 2010, please do the following:
1. Click the File tab on the Ribbon.
2. Click the ‘Recent’ section.
3. Right-click anywhere in the list of ‘Recent Documents’, and then select ‘Clear unpinned documents’ from the pop-up menu.
4. Click “Yes” to remove all the unpinned items from the list.
In Internet Explorer 9, to add a website to the Start menu in Windows 7, please do the following:
1. Press [Alt] + [X] or click the icon, which looks like a nut, to open the Tools menu.
2. Point to ‘File’, and then choose ‘Add site to Start menu’.
* To access the website which has just been added to the Start menu, click the Start button, and then click it in the list of ‘All Programs’.